U.S. CITIzens and residents
In an effort to encourage consumers to shop with small businesses, American Express has launched Shop Small. This program offers American Express cardholders a $5 statement credit after making a single purchase of $10 or more directly with any small business in the U.S. on the Shop Small® Map, up to 10 times. American Express will also provide free digital marketing materials to help small businesses promote the offer to their customers.
- Free marketing and business promotion for small businesses provided by American Express
For your business to be considered a qualifying small business for the offer as well as the Shop Small Map, it must be Shop Small eligible based on the following qualification criteria:
- Must be an American Express Card accepting Merchant;
- Must be located in the United States. For brick-and-mortar businesses, this means that you must have at least one physical business location within the U.S.; for online-only businesses, this means that you must have a service area within the U.S.
- Must have at least 1 but no more than 25 locations (for brick-and-mortar businesses) and have no more than $5M in American Express annual charge volume
- Must not be part of a franchise brand that has more than 250 stores; Additionally, if a franchise brand has more than 25 corporate-owned stores, then the entire brand is excluded
- Must be enabled to accept American Express Cards. Merchants who have been with us for more than 12 months must have had at least 1 transaction in the last calendar year
- Businesses in these industries are excluded: Government agencies, public administration, gas stations and businesses located on the same premises as a gas station, travel agencies, charities, nonprofits, peer-to-peer payments, crowdfunding, trade associations, shopping property management companies, direct sellers, and political organizations