Emergency Fund for Diverse Creatives in Children’s Publishing
South Florida and beyond
We Need Diverse Books
Childrens' Book Professionals
One-time grants for children’s literature professionals that have experienced financial hardship due to the pandemic.
Need more help with Rent and Housing?
Find money for rent & utilities, and free legal advice if you're facing eviction.Go to the Rent and Housing program finder
- One-time grants of $500 to cover household expenses, medical payments, debt, rent, mortgage, or other similar costs.
Must be a U.S. resident
Must be at least 18 years of age
Applicants must identify as one or more of the following:
- Person of color
- Native American
- Person with a disability
- Marginalized religious or cultural minority
For writers and illustrators:
- Must be a published author and/or illustrator, with at least one book-length title at a traditional publishing house.
- Published work must include at least one title aimed for children or teens. This includes: Picture Books, Early Reader Books, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, Young Adult, Graphic Novels, Non-Fiction, and Poetry.
- Must have lost income due to canceled school or library visits.
- We Need Diverse Books is unable to consider self-published authors and/or illustrators.
For publishing professionals:
- Must be furloughed or recently laid off from a publisher or literary agency. Their position must have focused on children’s literature.