Financial Assistance for Authors with Urgent Need
South Florida and beyond
Authors League Fund
Assistance to professional writers suffering financial hardship as a result of emergency circumstances, including COVID-19.
Need more help with Rent and Housing?
Find money for rent & utilities, and free legal advice if you're facing eviction.Go to the Rent and Housing program finder
- No-strings-attached, interest and tax-free loans for professional writers that can be used to cover pressing expenses.
- If awarded, repayment can be made when and as one is able. This can be in the form of partial repayment, installments, or donations of any amount.
Recipients of Authors League Fund assistance must be career writers with a substantial body of work in one of more of the following categories:
- Book authors with at least one title published by an established traditional publisher. Authors with multiple titles are given priority.
- Journalists, critics, essayists, short story writers, and poets with a substantial body of work in periodicals with a national or broad circulation. Whether print or online, these periodicals must have strong editorial oversight and a sizable readership. This category does not include copywriting, blogging, public relations, and writing for non-periodical websites and corporate clients.
- The Fund cannot typically assist self-published writers. However, if you are a self-published writer with a record of critical and financial success, we will review your request.
In relation to this Fund, emergency circumstances that are eligible for support include:
- Writers of any age facing significant income loss due to COVID-19-related layoffs or job/event/article cancellations.
- Writers of any age in ill health, or supporting a dependent family member in ill health.
- Writers facing overwhelming medical or dental bills.
- Writers facing an unexpected loss of income, temporary unemployment/underemployment, eviction, or similar crises.